Thursday, January 24, 2013

Thankful Thursday

My little big Sunshine at the park this weekend with, fittingly, the sun shining on her.


This blog is such a downer most of the time. And while I know that is to be expected given that I'm going through a nasty divorce with children, it gets old.

So, I'm instituting Thankful Thursdays. (I'm sure I'll forget all about it next Thursday.)

I am thankful for:

1. My children who - unless I'm blind - are thus far coping pretty well with this separation of homes and parents. And it is not lost on me that while divorce is HUGE, my girls are healthy and have a lot of love surrounding them. There are so many kids in far worse situations.

2. My mom, who without hesitation welcomed the girls and I into her modest home. How she puts up with my constant demands (she's the girls' babysitter while I'm at work) and pathetic attempt at maintaining household duties, I'll never know.

3. My dad, who if I needed it would loan me all his money to make sure the girls and I don't get hosed by ex's manipulative ways.

4. Myself. Yep, I'm thankful for my own natural ability to look at the bright side of things and people. For try as I might, I can't bring myself to come close to hating my ex. He is, after all, still a human being. And he's the father of my children. Don't get me wrong: I do NOT like him and am ever so incredibly grateful that I'm not in a toxic relationship with him anymore. He and I: oil and water. I wish he could control himself and his mouth around the girls, and I wish he didn't let his hatred of me get in the way of good parenting choices. But I can't control any of that. I can only control my reaction to him and teach my girls how best to handle him.

5. Other single mom bloggers, both those who are in the middle of it like me, and those who are ahead of me in this life. I greatly appreciate all insight.

6. My friends and family who have helped my emotionally along the way, from those who vastly questioned my true intentions in trying to reconcile a few months ago, to those who continuously tell me that MY GIRLS WILL BE OK.

7. The gift of time. It's already been a year since this separation began. And while I HATE that the divorce and custody aren't final yet, I am so relieved to know that I'm one year away from the hardest time of my life. I just hope custody decisions don't get made that throw my girls' entire schedule and sense of consistency off.

8. Thursday nights. If I can't be with my girls on Thursdays, I'm more than thrilled to be with friends.

9. Wine. Red wine.

10. My job. Wow, this probably shouldn't be #10. I truly love my job and co-workers, and am eternally thankful to have a steady job.

What are you thankful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment