Saturday, September 8, 2012

They get to come back home

Forever and ever! Yeah, I wish. But one tiny victory, which I'm scared to death he'll change his mind on, is that he decided to allow Little Bit and Sunshine to come home after dinner on Sundays. That's the longest day he has them, from just after breakfast, and I know how much it's going to help them (especially Sunshine) to know they get to come back to Mommy at the end of the day.

It's amazing how much this has lowered my anxiety. But, we haven't actually gone through that day yet, so I'll let you all (OK, the one person who reads my blog right now) know.

On the suggestion of a fantastic friend, who's also a preschool teacher/day care provider and super smart, single mama, I got a calendar for Sunshine. We only did one week, but basically on Daddy days, I put a "D" and she put truck stickers. On Mommy days, I put an "M" and she put heart stickers. Every day got smiley face stickers, because - as I tell her - every day you're with someone you love is a happy day. (She originally wanted to put frowny face stickers on Daddy days.)

Anyway, we'll cross out each day either before bed or before she goes to Daddy's after he gets off work. And each morning we'll look at the calendar to remind her what the day will hold.

And if she starts to panic cause she's going to Daddy's, I'll refer her back to the calendar. I also put mundane things on there, like a star for gymnastics days. I should put something on there for school days, but I'm going to run out of room on those little squares. :)

We started the calendar today, so I have no clue if it will work. I hope so. I really hope so.

On a completely unrelated note
: Rex-Goliath merlot is delicious. Rex-Goliath merlot accidentally breathed into your lungs...let's just say, it burns. Breathe...sip...swallow...breathe. Must remember this. Ouch.

No comments:

Post a Comment